Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Some more rhymes

Peas Porridge Hot (an old time favourite)
Peas Porridge hot
Peas Porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot
Nine days old

Some like it hot
Some like it cold
Some like it in the pot
Nine days old

We often do this rhyme with movements, which get progressively harder, ie, first clapping, then marching, then both at the same time - the crossover claps with the feet moving are the hardest ! ( I call it brain gym!)

Crackers and Crumbs (often done with movements)
Crackers and crumbs
Crackers and crumbs
These are my fingers
These are my thumbs

These are my eyes
These are my ears
They will all grow big in the next 10 years

Hickory Dickory Dock  (also a favourite - often done with movements and other variations)
Hickory Dickory Dock
The mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck one
The mouse ran down
Hickory Dickory Dock

Little Mousie Brown
Up up the candlestick
Went little mousie brown
He climbed to the top
And couldn't get back down
He yelled, "Grandma, Grandma"
But Grandma was in town.
So he curled himself up
And rolled back down

The Moon is Round
The moon is round
As round can be
Two eyes, a nose
and a mouth like me!

It's a chesnut
What's this thing here
prickly green?
Open it up, so I can see.
It's a chesnut,
brown and shiny,
I can hold it right behind me.
Oops, I dropped it -
Wipe off the dirt
And put a cherry on top
For a squirrel's dessert!

This poem was created by Mr. Canrinus, their gym and outdoor science teacher. Personally, I think it's a winner and should win an award of some kind :)