Sunday, September 7, 2014

Welcome Ash Class 2014/15

Welcome Ash Class 2014/15! We are excited to meet you all and are looking forward to a great year!
We have had a great start, with lots of smiling faces every morning - and not worry if you still see some tears...this is normal! It is harder for some children than others to leave their parents, especially if it is for the first time.  Once the routine settles in, they will be off to the races!
We begin every morning with 3 poems:

In this circle here we stand,
quiet mouths and quiet hands
Feet together, straight as can be,
As we count, 1,2,3!

Below is the earth
Above is the sky
Here are my friends
And here am I!

I touch the sky
I touch my feet
I clap my hands on every beat
without a sound
I turn around
And this new day
I happily greet!

We read a book called the Kissing Hand, and then we talked about how Chester felt when he started school. Then each child had a chance to express how they felt on their first day of school, and we wrote each child's answer down.  We got all sorts of answers, such as scared, nervous, sad, lonely, happy, and excited. It is always nice to be able to acknowledge their feelings, so they can feel them and move on when they are ready. We talked about getting a kissing hand from our moms or dads before going to school. Ask your children to tell you what a kissing hand is and it may be nice to give one to your child before they go to school!

We are looking forward to a colourful fall together!