Sunday, September 20, 2015

Autumn is approaching

Fall is upon us and Ash class has begun to observe and discuss the changes we will see. We will be doing some inquiry based activities, and learning some songs and rhymes about Fall as we transition into the chillier season. The Autumn harvest is always a fun topic of conversation at this time.

Here a few Autumn songs/rhymes we have started learning or will be learning soon:

Yellow the Bracken
Yellow the Bracken
golden the sheaves
rosy the apples
crimson the leaves
mist on the hillside
clouds grey and white
autumn good morning
summer good night.

Blackberries
I have a basket
I'll tell you why,
I'm picking backberries
To bake in a pie.
I'll mix them with apple
Put pastry on the top.
If my pie is good enough,
Dont buy one from the shop

We are walking
We are walking, we are walking as the leaves they flutter down.
We are walking, we are walking
Catch a leaf of golden brown.

We are skipping, we are skipping as the leaves they flutter down,
We are skipping, we are skipping
Catch a leaf of golden brown.

We are running, we are running
As the leaves they flutter down
we are running, we are running
Catch a leaf of golden brown.

(You can create new verses using any actions)

My friend the Squirrel
My friend the squirrel sits and stares,
Nose up high, sniffing air,
Twitching here, twitching there

My friend the squirrel puffs his cheek
Holds his nut, brown and sleek
Looks for tree-hole, takes a peek.

My friend the squirrel runs up the tree
Jumps a  branch- most nimbly
In his hibernation home to be.