Sunday, September 20, 2015

Off to a great start!

Ash class has gotten off to a great start! Although you may still see some tears, be rest assured that this is normal! The children are getting used to their new environment and are making friends. The first month of school is largely about learning routines of the classroom and getting to know everyone. This is precisely what is happening in Ash class! It may take longer for some than others - it is a lot to take in. Soon enough, everyone will feel right at home.

Every morning we begin in our circle, saying our 3 chants:

In this circle here we stand
Quiet mouths, quiet hands
Feet together straight as can be
As we count, 1 2 3.

Below is the Earth
Above is the Sky
Here are my friends
Here am I

I touch the sky
I touch my feet
I clap my hands on every beat
Without a sound
I turn around
And this new day
I happily greet

We will be doing a morning message and the children like to figure out what letters or words are missing.  We do many action songs and rhymes all day long. Try practising crossover actions with your children as you are chanting with them (crossing you arm to your opposite shoulder). This is great "brain gym" and is a fun Waldorf exercise. The children area also practising their counting as we pass a beanbag around the circle.